Social media addiction
Well, who knew I was addicted to social media. For someone who proudly claims that he is not actively engaged in any social media platforms - in truth, it turned out that 'not being actively engaged' does not equate to 'not being addicted'.
How did I find out I was an addict? First, I turned off my YouTube history suggestion. So if reflexively I entered into YouTube, I will not find any recommend videos. Previously, I would be distracted by the recommended videos and will (out of interest) click and watch the video.
Now that the tap to distraction (in fact, addiction) was turned off, I then sub consciously turned on the other tap. The Instagram tap. I have an insta account which I use sparingly. Mostly to see videos shared by wife and friends. But to my surprise (and horror), I began using insta more. And more and more. Could spend a few hours a day on it. Damn. And so I new I was a addict.
I then decided to uninstall (not delete) insta. Now, let's see what other tap(s) will I turn on. Hopefully none.
The story here is that we think we are not addicted to something until that something gets taken (or deleted) away, and you find you struggle (terribly) without it.
Perhaps, it can be put that we are all addicts in someway. To TV, food, media etc. Whether our train is wired to crave for certain things, and in finding those things, it gradually turns into addiction, is something worth probing or is already probed into by scientists.
If us adults who are coming to realise the risk of social media addiction and become unknowingly addicted to it, what then can we expect of the young.
More than the addiction, what I found even more concerning was I could no longer focus while reading. The reflexive (or urge) to toggle to YouTube or insta confounded me. Even now I continue to toggle. But with the uninstallation of insta, let's see i become sober.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home